Sunday, June 6, 2010

What does a degree really mean?

About a month ago, I finished my coursework for a degree from Brigham Young University in Marriage, Family, and Human Development. I loved my program. I had wonderful, insightful, funny professors, and I learned so much; skills I want to implement in my own family, ideas for creating a better community, even how I want to improve myself, as a wife, daughter, and future mother.

As with most graduates during this economic downtown, I left college, armed with a degree but no job, and thought, "Now what?" The motto of BYU is, "enter to learn, go forth to serve". I want so much to be able to help others with the knowledge and skills that I have gained.

Right before I graduated, I completed an internship with the website known as "Forever Families". It teaches wonderful principles about how to raise a family, and uses current, comprehensive research to support it's claims. I wrote a few articles for the website, and I enjoyed it immensely. It really taught me about the potential of the Internet to reach so many people. Now, I may not have all my words perfectly sourced-I will never plagiarize-but this isn't a literary journal. What my degree has really done for me is to influence my opinions, my ideals, and has given me ideas for what the research says about how to effectively have a good, happy marriage and family life. But let us learn together-I'll post my thoughts and ideas, and you can comment on what you think. You can agree or disagree, ask for ideas or give advice. What I want is to make our lives better. That's my goal, anyway.

1 comment:

  1. You should keep this blog up Katie! It's such an awesome idea!!

    ReplyDelete